Saturday, August 14, 2010

Camping in the Redwoods

My family planned a big camping trip down to Big Basin. I was really excited to try it out with Ada to see if she was a true camper at heart. Scott and I stayed with his parents in Benicia the weekend before. Monday morning we get a call from my mom saying they couldn't go camping because a couple of my brother's kids were sick with the stomach flu. Boo. So, we decided to just got with our little family and it did not disappoint! We borrowed all of the gear we needed, including a brand new tent that was a present to Scott's mom. It still even had the bow on it. My mother-in-law let us shop in her cupboards for the food we needed. Thanks Vivian.
Ada was thrilled to be in the great outdoors. She could not get enough of scrambling around in the tent and sitting outside while eating her food. Yes, we were somewhat anal and did not let her crawl in the dirt. The reason behind it is because she puts practically everything in her mouth and I did not feel like chasing her around every second.
Check out the size of this tent. We had plenty of room for our family. I was so excited to be out in the woods. The big letdown with the campsite though was the amount of campers there were. We were so close that we could hear the conversations of the other campers (and not conversations that I wanted to hear either).
We took the family on a Twighlight hike hoping to see some cool things. It was really pretty and everything, but the only sign of wildlife that we saw was the raccoon that peaked out from underneath our car while we were loading Ada up. It had no fear. Scott had to chase it away.

First morning. I had Ada snuggle with me while Scott went and got her bottle ready.
I am not gonna lie. Even though the nights were only in the high 40's low 50's, it was bitter cold for us. That is cold right? I was FA-Reezing the first night and even worse had the most horrible tooth ache. It was terrible. I could not wait for the morning sunshine to hit our tent. Oh, and not to mention, there were the most annoying campers right next to us that were playing poker into the late night hours and making all sorts of noises. If I had not been reading a scary book just hours earlier, I would have probably gotten up and asked them to be quiet.
Doesn't Ada look cute with her little hat on? I loved it. Thanks Doug and Jenny! You were life savers!
When my family camped here in Big Basin years and years ago, I got lost on our family hike. I was certain that I would have to live off of berries from the forest, that I would never ever see my family again (I know, seriously dramatic girl!). Of course, my dad found me and of course, even if I truly was lost, there were many, many campers and hikers that were on the trails that day (and I was on the trail), that there is no way I would have stayed "lost."
So, since Scott and I had a full day ahead of us, I really wanted to find the hike that I hiked so many years ago. Didn't happen though. We decided on a hike to a waterfall which was a little on the lame side. The hike was along side the road and the "Waterfall" was more like a trickle of water. It was still really pretty though. Ada did not love our little outing as much. She was tired and hungry, so we had to keep her entertained. I did love the little pack that we loaded her up in.
The Lovell cousins (the one's that were sick) were better by day 2 for us and jumped in the car and headed out to Big Basin. Unfortuneatluy for them, two more kids got sick when they got there and kept their parents up all night (and me since we were their neighbor. But I am not upset).
Audrey LOVES her little cousins. She is such a great helper with the little babies.
Ada was a rock star! She slept through the night and even took naps! She was literally a happy camper.
Brother-in-law Brian probably got about 2 hours of sleep. Luke woke up screaming in the middle of the night and after driving him around for 1 1/2 hrs, almost running out of gas, giving him milk, watching movies, he finally crashed.
Ever seen a banana slug? I had not until this day. My sister-in-law Jenna heard that if you lick a banana slug, it tastes like a banana! Okay, maybe not.
No judging on the grossness (for me anyway). It was a VERY long night for all of the families. Scott actually slept through the night without any issues, but since I am a light sleeper and we were basically on top of everyone, I would wake up with every cry, snore, scream, etc. The shower felt amazing that day!
This little girl keeps us entertained. She was a baby gone crazy when we let her loose in the tent. I think she had all sorts of balled up energy, not to mention being overtired.
We can't wait for our next camping trip. Hopefully there are some cool places to go to in Florida!

6 comments:

Lovell Family said...

It might not be honest if I say looks like fun....hmmm...looks like an adventure!

Lovell Family said...

one more thing...so I see the lovell cousins...i thought they were sick and couldn't come...?

Jaynan said...

that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm jealous! We STILL haven't been camping since we had kids, and we love to camp! maybe we'll make it this year when it cools down some....

Ellie said...

OH the joys of camping! The memories are almost better than the trip!!

Emily said...

Okay I'm sorry, but that just sounds AWFUL. I don't like camping anyway, but with that many people around and cold sleepless nights, I would be a wreck. At least you're creating family memories, right?!

Dave is leaving for Trek on Wednesday and the nights are supposed to get into the 40s. I cannot convince him to take extra blankets or buy a better sleeping bag. Can YOU? I'm so worried he's going to freeze to death.

J Fo said...

I'm more on the looks like an adventure side of this! I wish I could be more outdoorsy, but I don't know how a camping trip would go down for this little family. The last time I camped I was 18!