Thursday, March 25, 2010

6 Month Stats

Weight: 15lbs (27th percentile)

Height: 27" (87th percentile)

So, Ada had her 6 month today. It was actually a little discouraging. I am not saying this because she went down in percentiles, it was discouraging because she lost almost 1 pound since her 4 month check up. I was shocked when I looked at the scale. The nurse told me that Babies can fluctuate, but that seemed like a significant amount. So that was the first thing. After the shock of her weight loss wore off a little, the nurse then told me that Ada still has her dairy allergy which I was certain she had grown out of. And the last thing I was told is that we have to get X-rays on her hip because it does not rotate very well. The Doc said that if they find something, she might have to wear a hip brace. Sniff. When the doc was telling me her concern about the big weight loss, one thing she asked was how much I was feeding Ada. "Well, a little solids in the morning then nursing throughout the day." "Does she stop eating when she is full?" "Ummmm," I said, "She never really gets the chance to stop eating. I just stop feeding her when I think she has eaten enough." "Oh," the doc said, "You need to start feeding her solids 3 times a day, with breast milk/formula and cereal mixed in with the fruits/veggies. AND nurse throughout the day as well."

So basically what I am pretty sure it has come down to is that I have not been feeding Ada even close to what she needs. I felt awful but the doctor assured me that I am not the first mom to have "Deprived" her baby (Unintentionally of course).

When we got home today I fed her a whole Gerber baby pears with oatmeal in it AND another bowl of oatmeal with formula mixed in it. She finally stopped eating halfway through the 3rd bowl. I now know when she is full!!!!

She also got shots today!

BUT, I think we have found (I hope) the solution to her fussiness. We have just had a hungry baby! I would be upset too if my food was taken away from me when I was just getting going. I really did feel bad and hope and pray that is what the problem was. She was very happy all afternoon and took some good naps.

I will keep you all updated on how her X-rays turn out. Please keep Ada in your prayers.
Okay, enough words. Let's end on a happy note.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love her! She is so cute linds! She is a little lindsay- mad when hungry

Cynthia Lovell said...

Very Cute! Hopefully this will CURE her fussiness. I remember how YOU are when YOU'RE Hungry!!! ha ha ha

Lovell Family said...

I bet you anything her weight will be back on track very soon! She's adorable...I see more of Scott in her everytime I see her! Can't wait to see you guys in may.

OramHouse said...

I've done the same thing with quite a few of our children before. When all of a sudden you realize, oh they were hungry! So, yes, not the first mom to do that:)

Boquinha said...

Awwww. I bet that will totally help. I hope so anyway! Yeah, nursing babies stop when they're full. She can't really "over-nurse," so don't worry.

Kate used to spend (I kid you not) 20 minutes on EACH side in one sitting of nonstop eating. She was a little chub, but man that girl loves food. She LOVES food.

Oh, and they took x-rays of Kate for that hip thing, too. And told us about the possible brace. I was freaked out, because she was about Ada's age and I didn't want her confined right when she was getting moving (happily!). But she was fine. And we didn't do the brace. I kind of wish we hadn't even done the x-ray. Apparently a lot of babies get that and totally outgrow it without all the fuss and intervention (and worry!!).

Maybe Ada will be able to do that funky foot thing like Kate does. Just for you. :)

Emily said...

OH she is so cute!

Aren't you so grateful for doctors? What would we do without them telling us what to do? I'm totally serious. I worry like crazy but my doctor always makes me feel better. Now you know she needs more food, and now you'll all feel better. I'm so glad for you!

J Fo said...

What a beautiful girl she is!!! I just want to squeeze her! I had issues with Emmy too, but it was because (unbeknownst to me) I wasn't making enough milk for her. We live and learn and do better when we know better, right? That's what I told myself. :)

cameron said...

she is getting big though. britton is almost 4 months and he weighs 14.14... and that was over two weeks ago...

Jenny said...

Hey Lindsay! Ada is changing so fast- she's not a little newborn anymore! I'm sure the eating thing will work it self out. Maggie also had the hip problem. We had ultrasounds and X-rays and I too was super worried. She's fine. It is common and in most cases fixes itself. It's just precautionary because it's easier to have them wear a brace now then to have a major surgery later. We will still pray for her though :)

Jaynan said...

wow that is quite a drop! I think Ky is heavier than her now (just barely). He went in for a check up at 11 months (his 9 month check a wee bit late), and he is in the 5th percentile. And it is true: they quit when they are full (unlike older children/adults who have ignored over and over that signal to stop eating and don't recognize it anymore, hence the rising rates in obesity--sorry, long rant). I try to feed my kids a ton of food because they are always under the 10th percentile and the doctors always tell me to try and give them lots of food, and they definitely let me know when they don't want anymore! At least you know now. I'm sure she'll bulk up fast, especially now that she's on solids.

Boquinha said...

Oh yeah! Jaynee's comment reminds me of studies that show that since breastfed babies learn to regulate their own food intake, they are less likely to become overweight/obese adults. They're learning naturally how to stop eating when they're full.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2029277.stm

"Breastfed babies are also thought to regulate their intake by controlling how much milk they take setting up behavioural feeding patterns for later life."

Wish I'd been breastfed. :P LOL!

Greg and Abbey said...

I'm so sorry you feel badly. I know how you feel. 3 months ago, I tried to only nurse Kate for two days straight, only to find that I didn't have enough milk and she was so hungry/thirsty. (I realized it when her diapers weren't adding up). I felt SOOOO guilty. It was horrible to think that this little baby was counting on me to nourish her and I wasn't smart enought to realize what was happening. :( I'm sorry you have gone through that too. I think it will get much better now :) We're so fortunate to have those Dr.'s apts. and Dr.s who really care. :) It'll be okay :)