Friday, July 31, 2009

Together Again


This post is well over due, but I guess I have been pretty busy getting ready for baby. Anyway, a few weeks ago, my grandma Lovell passed away. I was going through an old picture album tonight and came across these special pictures. My grandpa passed away over 4 years ago and my grandma has missed him like crazy. I love my grandparents very much and miss them.
This particular day, I had been mountain biking with a friend (no, I am not hardcore, only did it like twice and thought I might die) and on my way back home stopped by my aunts house where they lived to say hello. My grandma ALWAYS had such a sweet smile on her face and my grandpa ALWAYS had a joke ready to be said. Of course it did not matter if we had heard it over and over, it was always funny.
Some fun memories of my grandparents:
Grandpa:
1. Grandpa taught me how to water ski. It did not happen the first summer that I tried, but once he got the new boat, I was able to pop right up. We always went to Deer Creek and I loved every minute of it.
2. He still had a great sense of humor after having been really sick with cancer. I remember one time in particular my sister and I visiting him. Now mind you, we had JUST dyed our hair jet black. He put his arms around our waists and said, "Oh, my two little black heads...I better not squeeze you too hard!" Juls and I cracked up laughing (If you don't get the joke, let me know and I will explain).
3. You can never forget Grandpa's strong hands. No matter how sick he was feeling or tired, he ALWAYS would grab the ticklish part of your leg, right above the knee and squeeze. It took a lot of coaxing to get him to release his grip.
4. His voice was so strong and always filled with excitement (although from what I hear, he was a little on the feisty side as a younger man and had a minor temper. Dad, correct me if I am wrong). When we would come and visit he would get so excited!

Grandma:
1. Grandma was an artist. I used to just stare at her beautiful paintings in awe. She was so modest about her talent. She always said that she was only copying pictures or scenery. It did not matter to me. It always looked perfect.
2. My Grandma made us each a Book of Remembrance (Family History Book). She included a life history of herself and my grandpa and included pictures. I thought that my grandma was BEAUTIFUL. I used to search through my Book of Remembrance just to find her picture. I wanted to look just like her. I at least was blessed with her height.
3. Grandma was a health nut. I remember one morning for breakfast trying tomato juice and still to this day do not love it. We would ask for a treat and Grandma would send us down to the basement for dried fruit. Too bad I don't have that love of healthy food that she did. It would definitely do me a lot of good!
4. She never raised her voice. I have never heard my grandma yell. Even if she would be upset, I would never know it because she was so soft spoken and sweet.

I am so grateful to have been blessed with such wonderful grandparents. I will have to do another post just talking about my grandpa Benson, another amazing man that I was so blessed to have as a grandpa.

5 comments:

Emily said...

That's very sweet! I loved reading about your grandparents. There is something very special about them, I miss mine a lot too.

ericjsmom said...

What great memories. We can only imagine their joy at being together again and try to follow their great examples in all we do.

Boquinha said...

What a nice post! I love to hear what things you remember, what's stood out to you. They sound great. I miss mine, too.

Cynthia Lovell said...

That's a beautiful tribute Lindsay! You have such a gift of writing!!! See you in 6 weeks or less!

Jennifer Lovell said...

Lindsay, thanks for the special reminders of such amazing people. I love them too, even though I wasn't able to know them as long as you. Such cute pictures! Thanks, again, for sharing your memories of them.